Monday, October 26, 2009

Why the word myth is a myth.

The other day I was watching Mythbusters. Why you might ask would I watch such a terribly annoying show? My brother is obsessed with it for some reason, so I was forced into it. This show annoys on a variety of different levels, one of them being that they don't bust any thing all they do is pick one string of facts and fail analysis any of the variables that could make something plausible outside of their ridiculously shortsighted experiments. The other being that their name itself is somewhat an affront to what I got my degree in. I admit that the word "myth" is commonly used to represent a falsehood, or something that has questionable truth to it. But I guess its like someone repeatedly using horrible grammar around someone who has an English degree. (ok wait that is essentially what my degree is in, and that doesn't annoy me) The word myth academically has nothing to do with falsehoods, legends, tales, or fables. I have from time to time abused this common misconception, once I referred to the bible as mythology around a bunch of church goers just to see what would happen. It wasn't really a pleasant experience for me. But the bible, particularly the book of Genesis, is a pure example of what a myth, or mythology is. It is, to avoid an even longer discourse, a creation story. Every religion, culture, or people has a mythos or mythology, and those words do not imply falseness or truth, they simply are. They are a way of given a particularly archetype to a specific part of a religion or culture. Every time someone says "oh thats just a myth," it just makes me think about that. Its 99.9% of the time completely a statement made in error. Most of the time I disregard it, but when it really bugs me is when Professors use the word in this content when lecturing, often in related fields, when they really, really should know better. One time when I was having a really bad day I corrected a professor on this and I would really recommend this tactic to anybody. Of course, it was just Wilkerson-Freeman so piling on to here is a bit gratuitous since she makes herself look silly enough on her own. The whole moral of this story is that the show Mythbusters really should be called UrbanLegend Busters, or just LegendBusters. I guess those names were already trademarked.

No comments:

Post a Comment