Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Enjoyability versus Quality

A lot of people seem to miss the point about how enjoyability and quality are not always tied together. This is in regard to all sorts of things, music, movies, books, etc. For me it most often is tied to movies most often, and books secondly. I am good at separating the two and seeing the enjoyability in a poor movie, and seeing the quality in a movie that I did not enjoy at all. Pretty much my favorite movie of all time is Big Trouble In Little China. Does that mean I think its the best movie of all time? Hell no, its not even the best movie of its year, but its my favorite. It is highly enjoyable for me, even though I can see that its not the most quality movie ever. The opposite is true for some other movies that I don't enjoy. For example, I didn't enjoy, for example, Cold Mountain. Actually I really hated it, but I can see that it is high quality movie making. This is an important thing to keep in mind when looking at rottentomatoes.com. RT is a great GREAT way to get a general feel for the quality of a movie. They are pretty spot on with that since it takes a whole bunch of critical reviews instead of just one. If its a high rating its a well made movie, if its a low rating its not a very well made movie. However, thats not always a good measure of enjoyability, and that is something to keep in mind.

On a side note, this is something I always kind of use in those silly Harry Potter versus Twilight debates. Sure there are a ton of people that find both of them enjoyable, and obsess over them even. However, J.K. Rowling is the clear winner. Although both series can only be classified as highly entertaining, Rowling wins because not only is it enjoyable, its well written as well. Rowling is a good writer, although not great, by almost all opinions. Meyer is a terrible, terrible writer, and she and Christopher Paolini should totally have a crappy writer competition. The same can be said for the movies, where as the Harry Potter movies generally get pretty good objective movie reviews, the two Twilight movies rank just a hair above Old Dogs and Willard on "objective" movie reviews. Just my two cents worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment