Thursday, June 10, 2010

My Guitar Project



Way back in the day when I was a gigging drummer I used to have this idea that I would take a drum set and sand down the finish then take baseball cards and attach them to the drum frame and refinish it. The drum set would then have the cards as collage finish and I always thought that would be quite awesome. I still want to do this, but I know longer really play drums, so I have decided that I will do it to a guitar.

I will probably go with a strat body, one of the unfinished ones. The rounded edges will make it easier, and prevent me from having to cut a bunch of cards up with an exacto knife to get the precise fit needed. I will probably go with the 1987 Topps set as my source for cards.  The 1987 set as seen to the left has a wood grain look and I think it would look quite nice as the finish.  I will probably use all St. Louis Cardinals cards, and 1987 isn't a bad year to do that with since it was a world series team.  The other sets I am considering are 1983, primarily because I really like that set, and 1978, mostly because I have a complete set collecting dust.  It will be some work to get it done, but I think it will make a good project.  1970's and 80's cards will make a good base for this project because the card stock is so thin and they feature virtually no gloss on the card whatsoever.



No comments:

Post a Comment