Friday, June 26, 2009

Draft Pick Salary Demands

I thought about this for a while this morning. Most people are quick to say that baseball draft picks should shut up and take very little, and not demand a lot of money since, unlike the NFL and NBA they will not be contributing on the field for their team for at least a year or two. I decided to think about it by putting myself in their shoes and try to come up with what I would do if faced with the same decisions they were. First of all, I was as big a fan of baseball when I was playing high school ball as I am now, and I am sure some of the players drafted are the same. I was a student of the history of the game, and I had allegiances and ideas about teams. I would find it impossible to just go where I was drafted and not say anything, or not to tell certain teams that frankly I am just not playing for your club. I am honestly amazed there is not more of this. If I were good enough to be drafted in the first round I would have had teams that I would play for, and teams that I would not play for. If I were going to drafted out of high school by say the Cubs, Yankees, Giants, or Braves, then they would have very limited options. They would either have to make me the highest paid draft pick ever, or I would be going to college, or playing in the frontier league for a year. But I would be honest with their scouts before the draft, so as not to surprise them, I would just have to say, I hate your team, I have always hated your team, and I can't really be honest with myself and say I want to take your money. Secondly, I can't fall these guys for trying to get as much as they can in their first contract. Many of them are foregoing college, and this might be the only big contract that get. Its got to last for a while, and give them something to fall back on if say, they have a catastrophic injury, or can't hit a professional slider.

No comments:

Post a Comment