Friday, June 26, 2009

Transformers Ramblings

Normally when I do a movie review I try to give the movie a fair and honest rating on a scale of 1 to 10. I see a lot of movies, probably more than anybody I know and even when I don't enjoy the movie and think I have a fair eye for what is good, well-made and quality, and try to rate movies accordingly. I cannot in any fairness give this movie a rating. If I did it wouldn't be accurate, because I would give this movie a full 10/10 and obviously its not a great work of film making. Normally, I am a big fan of Rotten Tomatoes, and I think its generally a good way to get an honest representation of the quality of a film. However, it misses the boat with films like this. Most of the reviewers just don't understand what this film needed to do, and what they were trying to accomplish. Most of the reviewers said that this film was to thin on plot, to much action, and was to violent and adult for a film that is marketing a line of toys that Hasbro is trying to sell. This reviewers obviously don't understand the purpose here. This movie is marketed towards people like me. To mostly males, who are in their late 20's to early 30's who grew up loving the Transformers, not so much as a toy (which most of us did love) but the cartoon. We don't need much of a plot, and we don't need much character build up. We already had a built in attachment to the primary characters, because for many of us Optimus Prime's fight in the movie was our first real taste of learning that sometimes the good guys die. This film accomplishes a lot. The only real emotion this movie is trying to stir is that same feeling most of us had when watching the end of the animated Transformers movie back in the day, and to be honest, I would say for many of us that movie resulted in tears, not as a result of being scared by a movie, but at the loss of an honorable character. The movie did accomplish that goal, and the mid movie fight scene with Optimus is truly epic. As for the rest, what more would you want from a Transformer movie. Lots of robots, and lots of explosions. You don't need an Oscar winning script to make this work. Very few times I would advocate this, but in a series like this the more explosions the better. One of the other things about this movie that people seem to want to make into an issue is the racial typecasting of the twins. Critics said this was inappropriate and that this characters only played the fool and contributed nothing. Those people really need to shut up. They aren't making fun of race, its more like a Malibu's most wanted thing making fun of posers, or people trying to imitate what they think is "gangster." And as for them doing nothing they are perhaps two of the bravest autobots in the movie. Being the smallest combat robots, they took on the largest combat robot with no fear, and those saying that they showed nothing and were a bad representation are idiotic and just looking for something to stir up something contraversial. One thing that made me laugh was Dr. Claw, I mean Soundwave. He is voice by Frank Welker, who of course is a legend in cartoon voicing. He also voiced Dr. Claw in the Inspector Gadget cartoon and for Soundwave its the EXACT same voice he used for Dr. Claw. The first time he said anything I laughed so hard I think the people in the row in front of me thought I was crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment